Saturday, December 1, 2012

Farewell, NASA

So this is going to be sappy...
 but I have found a release with writing everything down so here it goes.
I'm lying here awake at 5am after saying goodbye to my family today,
my NASA family to be exact.
Im sitting here thinking about all the people that I didn't get to say goodbye to. Of the 10,000 people at JSC I had a working relationship with nearly 2,000. I knew everyone and everyone knew me, "the little move girl"...
(I facilitated the moves around our main 30 bldgs onsite.)
I kept my goodbyes short, only because ive been trying to keep from breaking down,
 but today.. It happened!
As I pulled my awards, pictures and paperwork from the walls- it hit me like a brick wall.
I sat in my little office and broke down like a sobbing baby. I was saying goodbye to family and friends of 3 1/2 years. To no surprise I am one of the young ones out there and I think a lot of ppl took me under their wing. You wouldn't believe the number of parents/grandparents I left today.
This thought alone though finally makes me smile :)
I'm going to miss our daily/weekly chats. Our coffee time and afternoon chocolate breaks. I have learned and grown so much because of these people and now I'm kicking myself for not giving a better goodbye.
Don't get me wrong, there were hugs everywhere, sometimes multiple. But I wish I could have spent hours with people to tell them how much I have appreciated our time together. Everyone knew my situation with my husband being so far and were 1000% supportive. But my departure was no surprise and there was more joy than anything from everyone exclaiming, "you finally get to go be with your husband!" and I do!
And I am excited!
But it's so hard to be excited when you are leaving such a great thing. I truly loved my job and I loved my NASA family and will never forget them!
*My guys that made all the real work happen!!
My boss, one of the smartest guys I know, retired today :( Best wishes Barry! 
 
Enough crying, let's get to the good stuff. As you can probably guess, i get to see a lot of
cool stuff... I was determined to get pictures of my memories before I left.
NASA was never a big thing on my radar before coming out to JSC, but now I'm purely fascinated by the things I've learned.
I'll keep these short but try to give a good description...
Jasmine, my coworker, and I wanted a picture with the suits...
 
So they brought one out, it was awesome ;) The sucker weighed 100lbs!
 
 
If you know me at all, you know why i love this room...
the sewing room where they make all the space suits!
 
One of the multiple chambers...
 
My man, Robonaut!
 
SEV, space exploration vehicle
 
They let us in!!
 
The NEW up and coming SEV, introducing the Hovercraft!
Not its official name, but thats what i like to call it!! AWESOME!
 
I was actually standing there about a year or so ago when Robonaut took his first steps!
 
The space spider!!!
 
Orion
 
The famous, Chamber A!
 
Had to get a pic in front of the 90ft door!
 
Robonaut's wheels
 
Ok, not my pic, but an actual legit picture of Chamber A.
 
Farewell, NASA... now maybe I can get some sleep... 

No comments:

Post a Comment