Thursday, October 4, 2012

Anniversary Recap

So this definitely happened a month ago, but bear with me I'm still getting use to this whole blogger thing... This trip is actually one of the reasons that I wanted to start blogging. Mike and I will be moving somewhere where we know NO ONE, other than the people in his office, so I see many side trips in our future, “exploring” if you will. I want to document all of the fun things that we do in Virginia and the surrounding areas so that everyone will want to come visit us!! Until then, our one year wedding anniversary recap in Virginia Beach, VA.


My friend Alissa, whom I know from high school and college moved to Virginia Beach when she was in the NAVY, her husband is still a Chief in the Navy so the lucky ducks live life on the beach! Mike and I wanted to go somewhere beachy/relaxing and not too pricy, so I hit Alissa up one night for her "reviews" on VA Beach. We ended up staying a few nights with Alissa & George, and a couple of nights in a suite in the VA Beach town center. We had a blast meeting all of their friends, (NAVY people are awesome/crazy!) we hung out at the local hot spots and even got to go out on a friends boat for a day!
Alissa & George

One of our favorite bands, O.A.R. was playing at the American Music Festival which is held right on the beach, no shoes allowed! We’ve seen this band a dozen times; from Texas to Louisiana, now in Virginia. Every show is better than the last! They are such a fun, rock out, reggae, “I’m feeling good” band. A must see!



 
We had a boat day on Alissa’s friends AWESOME boat!!! We went to an “island” with an outdoor bar called the Tiki Hut. Pretty popular place apparently. We all eventually swam ashore, had some drinks, played corn hole, and listened to a band… great day in my book! Our sunset drive back to the mainland included MULTIPLE dolphin sightings!

 
Chief George took us to the Navy base one day. IT WAS AWESOME! I’ve never been to any sort of military base, so I was truly surprised to see that it’s basically a little city within a city. The HUGE Navy ships are everywhere; it’s just like the movies! Ha. We got to get up close and personal with the spy planes that George is in charge of, personal items weren’t allowed, so no pics, sorry!

Monday, our actual anniversary we hung out at a local beach and just lounged… it was nice and relaxing. Our dinner that night at Mahi Mah’s, was probably the 5th time we ate crab on our trip, but we never got sick of it! Mike and I are huge foodies; and when I say foodies, I mean WE LIKE TO EAT! Everywhere we go we try the local cuisine and end of gorging ourselves. Needless to say our anniversary dinner was delish! 

For dessert, of course, we ate the top of our 1 year old red velvet cake. Now, I had several people warn me that this was going to be bad, disgusting actually... Including everyone that asked me about the cake as I CARRIED IT THROUGH TWO AIRPORTS, sent it through the metal detector and sat it on my lap the entire way to Virginia! We were gonna eat our dang cake on our anniversary! Well I’m here to say, it wasn’t terrible, but it was definitely very sugary! 
yep, I'm the dork that took one of my table numbers to take our 1 year anniversary photos!

Now, PRESENTS!!!!!!! The paper anniversary. I put a lot of thought into this gift, I scoured pinterest for ideas, and even Etsy… nothing! I was super frustrated, until I remembered that Pastor Larry asked Mike and I to provide him with 5-8 words describing what we loved about one another and he would present them to us during his sermon. Words + paper = perfect gift! My gift to Michael was a canvas covered in newspaper with the words we used to describe one another. The newspaper was from our wedding day that my dad saved for us, so it had special meaning. I loved how it turned out! 

Michael, being the good listener that he is, got me tickets to the Lion King, I’d been talking about it nonstop for months!!! And don’t worry, there is a tutorial coming for the Paper Anniversary Plaque. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment